Monday, January 10, 2011

My Darling Clementine

Wow - does Henry Fonda look YOUNG in this movie!  Indeed, he was 41 years old when he played the Marshall Wyatt Earp in this!  I love me a good Western, and this was a good one!  Of course, part of my enjoyment is that it's set in Tombstone, Arizona.  (I grew up in a nearby town!) I loved seeing the stagecoach marked "Bisbee - Tombstone - Tucson"...yes, all those places are quite familiar to me!  Last time I was in Tombstone was in 2008.  Here's how it looked then:


As the movie opens, the "Earp" brothers are traveling towards California with a herd of cattle.  One evening, 3 of the Earp brothers go into town and leave their youngest brother to watch the cattle.  When they return to camp, the cattle is gone and their brother is dead.  So Wyatt  decides to take the Marshall job in Tombstone until he finds out who killed his brother.  Enter Doc Holliday - who pretty much runs the scene in town. Basically, its a retelling of the feud between Earp and the Clanton gang, and their famous shoot out at the OK Corral.  

Here's some more pics of modern day Tombstone: 



I can just see the Earp brothers herding their cattle through this land, can't you?

I really enjoyed the movie!  I've seen old Westerns that are corny and over-acted, but this one stands the test of time.  Worth your time to watch it if you enjoy classic Westerns!  

No comments: