Monday, January 17, 2011

It's Always Fair Weather

At the end of the war, three soldiers promise to meet in 10 years, just for the sake of proving that they will always, always be best of friends!  Well, they keep their "appointment", but soon discover that they have nothing in common, and can hardly stand being with each other! 

Each guy has his own issues, but the story focuses mostly on "Ted", played by Gene Kelly.  Through circumstance, Ted meets a program coordinator (Cyd Charisse) for a live TV show, where the 3 friends are going to be suprise guests.  It amazes me that this movie was made in 1955, and yet the premise involved somewhat of a "reality" bit in the show! 

I LOVED this movie - I loved the dance sequences and the story was great!  Gene Kelly is AMAZING...I mean, he tap dances with ROLLER SKATES on his feet!!  Tap Dances.  With ROLLER SKATES!!  Loved it!! 

And I cant really say that I love ALL musicals...In OTHER musicals, I've found myself forwarding past the music, which defeats the purpose of watching a musical, right?  I guess what I dont like is when the story comes to a screeching halt, the "scene" fades away, and then a song is thrown in.  But in this type of musical movie, the song is part of the story progressing within the scene...which I love! 

This is my 2nd Gene Kelly movie...but I tell you..I'm gonna dig up and watch all his stuff!  (I decided this after the first time I saw him!) 

Loved it - recommend it! 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I liked this movie a lot. Gene Kelly is amazing as is Cyd and the rest of the cast. But my favorite is the Dolores Gray number "Thanks a Lot but no Thanks". The song and dance seems to start as a typical girl meets boy routine but twists into a massacre of males at the hands of a lethal femme fatale. It's a hilarious number and I think it was ahead of it's time. Her dress is amazing too.


Rick

Liz said...

I agree - that song was great- very funny and the props/stunts very clever!