Thursday, June 12, 2008

PRINCE CASPIAN

My husband said it was like BRAVEHEART without the blood.

And indeed, we found that Narnia was a more savage place than we remembered.

In PRINCE CASPIAN, the Pevensie children return to Narnia a year later to find that hundreds of years have passed in the land. The old Narnians are in hiding, waiting for a day when they will be freed from the tyrannical rule of the Telemarines. Prince Caspian, who is the true king, is also in hiding, and calls on the four children to help him restore Narnia to it's proper order. So begins the fight for Narnia.

I was excited to see PRINCE CASPIAN because I knew it'd be just as good as THE LION, THE WITCH AND THE WARDROBE. And it truly was a beautifully made movie and mostly true to the book. Ben Barnes does a great job as Prince Caspian (he kinda reminds me of Keanu Reeves back in the day). Reepicheep is just as I imagined him! But the movie is all about the fight for Narnia. It's a movie about war, and it seems, not much else.

That was disappointing to me because I left regretting that I had taken my 8 year old. It was violent, and I think it was difficult for a young child to follow the plot. I really wanted to love PRINCE CASPIAN - But it was...OK.

I only just read the Chronicles of Narnia a couple of years ago. I never read them as a child. I believe they are some of the most beautiful and inspired stories I've ever read. The next movie will be The Voyage of the Dawn Treader and is scheduled to be released in 2010. I really look forward to it and think this story might be a better choice for the big screen.

No comments: