Monday, June 02, 2008

THE CHOICE By Nicholas Sparks

Nicholas Sparks is probably a familiar author to you - if not, I'll just mention a couple of movies that were based on his books and you'll know him for sure - A WALK TO REMEMBER and THE NOTEBOOK. While I didn't see A Walk to Remember, I did see The Notebook (loved it - sniff, sniff!)

But this was my first Sparks book. It was very reminiscent of The Notebook, in that is was a love story that started out in the present, and then went back to the past and worked it's way forward. The description on the jacket gives nothing away, and I loved that I read it without any preconceived idea of how the story would unfold. In fact, it's kind of a challenge to review it without spoiling the beauty of the story!

It begins with Travis and Gabby meeting, and falling in love, although she is involved with another man. But we get to see how they are first drawn to each other, and how she is torn with the decision she has to make regarding the two men she "loves". At that point, we shoot to the present again and the story of what has happened all these years later unfolds.

I always look at things in life and think to myself, "what would we have done if we could have looked in the future and seen this ahead?" That's what Sparks seems to do as well in this story and in The Notebook. It makes me wonder what his other books are like - are they all like this, or was it a coincidence that I've saw and read the two similar ones? I don't know - but I know that I will be looking for more of his books to read so I can find out!

The Choice was a good book - a very touching love story. Enjoyed it and recommend it!

No comments: