Saturday, January 19, 2008

BIG STONE GAP by Adriana Trigiani

It was one of the few times that my "to-be-read" stack was low. So one day at Sam's Club, I grabbed a few novels that looked good. Nothing I'd heard of, no familiar authors. Just something "different". Those books ended up sitting on my nightstand for a few months, but eventually, I grabbed one! It was Big Stone Gap, by Adriana Trigiani.

Big Stone Gap is the story of a small town woman - she's single, just turned 35, recently lost her beloved mother, and she's also just found that her father was not her father! She's an independent, confident woman; yet at the same time, she's scared, alone and not so confident! This is the sweet, touching story of Ave Maria figuring some things out - her road to "self discovery", if you will. And Big Stone Gap is a town full of lovable characters! The story flows smoothly, and even though the situations are things you can relate to, you still can't wait to see what's going to happen next! Additionally, Ms. Trigiani's description of people and places makes it easy to imagine every bit of the story. I even found myself talking with a southern accent while I was reading it!

Big Stone Gap is the first in a series - Big Cherry Holler, Milk Glass Moon, and Home to Big Stone Gap are the titles that follow. I've got Big Cherry Holler on order now, and I'm really looking forward to reading more of Ms Trigiani's work!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am so glad you chose to read Adriana's book about BSG. I grew up there and my brother was actually in her class at PVHS. It was a great little town and still is in the mountains of VA. The characters although she didn't use thier real names I remember very well. I get back to BSG at least twice a year. My family have moved into TN now but BSG is my home and I go there just to look around and re-kindle old memories. Please read the rest of her novels Adriana is from great Italian family that lived not to far from us and I so enjoyed her parents from time to time. Some time if you are traveling around close to BSG stop in the southern hospitality is great!!