Saturday, February 19, 2011

Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid

They were funny, witty and charming...yes, I'm talking about the bad guys!  And even though I'm often a bit conflicted to watch movies where the bad guys are the heroes, I loved this one! 

I'm sure you know that I'm talking about Paul Newman and Robert Redford, who starred as Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid.  They're lovable outlaws who spend their time running from the law, then relaxing at the local brothel before the next big heist.  But when they find it difficult to outrun one particular posse, they hightail it out of the U.S. and head to Bolivia. 

There were a couple of scenes that seemed to drag on unnecessarily - in one particular part of the movie, they are shown traveling through the desert and wilderness, and it just seems to go on and on...we watch them ride their horses for what seems like forever.  Another scene that also seems unnecessarily long, is when they travel to Bolivia.  We are shown still shots of their trip..and that part also seems to go on for a while!  Those parts almost felt like they were just there to fill time.   But I so loved the rest of the movie, that I was willing to overlook those scenes. And actually, it was ok, because those long scenes gave me time to run to the kitchen for something to drink!

The dialogue was great- very funny lines, and I especially loved the deadpan delivery they each had.  In one scene where they were cornered by the posse, Butch is trying hard to convince Sundance to jump off the cliff into the river below.  Finally, Sundance admits he cant swim.  Without missing a beat, Butch says, "You cant swim?  Hell, the fall alone will kill you anyway!"

This movie has immortalized these two actors - I'm sure that Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid is the first movie we think of when we hear either of their names. They are at their prime here - extremely handsome and charming!  This is a must see!  I might even watch it again!

No comments: