Friday, June 25, 2010

TOOTH FAIRY

For about the first half hour, I was thinking this was the corniest movie I'd ever seen, and that it was geared for very young kids. I also thought that Dwayne Johnson and Ashley Judd didn't have a lot of chemistry as a couple.

But then I found myself laughing out loud and really enjoying it! Which is good, because I wanted to like it. I think Dwayne Johnson has been good in these kinds of movies - such as Race To Witch Mountain or The Game Plan. (Kinda reminds me of Vin Diesel in The Pacifier...which I loved!)

Johnson plays Derek Thompson, a washed up former pro hockey player that is now playing in the minors. He's been nursing a shoulder injury for years, and hasn't even attempted a goal in 6 years. He's come to the point where he thinks dreaming is pointless. The only way to happiness and satisfaction, in his opinion, is to lower your expectations. He's been dating "Carly" (played by Judd), a single mom with two kids. But he's afraid of commitment - he's afraid of trying and failing. And so his relationship with Carly is suffering.

One night, he tries to tell Carly's daughter, Tess, that there is no tooth fairy - because he doesn't see the point in a childish fantasy. Carly stops him, but later that night, he gets a surprise. He is transported to...hmmm, well, I guess you can call it "Tooth Fairy Land". He is informed by the Tooth Fairy in Command (Julie Andrews), that he has to work as a tooth fairy, in order to pay off his debt for the offense of trying to destroy a child's belief in fantasies/dreams.

This is kinda where the movie starts to get good. Derek isn't allowed to tell anyone he's a tooth fairy, so when he gets a call to pick up a tooth, he starts to sprout wings, and he's got to go - in a hurry! Since he has to leave at a moments notice - without being able to explain - this adds even more tension in his relationship with Carly.

But its fun to see how he scrambles to do the job - especially since he's gotta do it right, or else he gets more time added to his "sentence". And the "tools" he receives to do the job, are pretty funny - especially when he uses them.

By the way, Billy Crystal makes an appearance. He looks different, but his voice and style are unmistakable.

It was rated PG, and it really was a clean movie. I loved that Derek never spent the night at Carly's house. While Tooth Fairy was a predictable movie, it was cute and funny. It was a little corny, and I was definitely glad that I didn't pay to see it at the theaters. AND..I still think that Ashley Judd and Dwayne Johnson had NO chemistry! BUT..it was a nice, clean movie to settle down and watch on a Thursday night at home.

No comments: