Friday, September 12, 2008

RIGHTEOUS KILL

Al Pacino and Robert DeNiro. Could there be bigger names billed together for a movie? They play Rooster and Turk, two seasoned cops in the NYPD who are on the trail of a serial killer. What I keep saying to anyone who asks me if the movie was good, is this: It was a good old-fashioned rated-R movie.

There was violence, but nothing too graphic. There was brief sex, but no nudity (as far as I can remember...and my Dad was sitting next me, so I think I'd remember...). It was suspenseful, and regardless of some reviews I read that said otherwise...it kept me guessing til the end. Or almost the end. Well, at least 3/4 of the way in.

John Leguizamo plays an abrasive cop who is competing with Rooster and Turk to solve the crime. Carla Gugino, who you may remember as the Mom from SpyKids, plays the crime scene/forensic investigator who also happens to be involved with Turk. Other notable appearances are Donnie Wahlberg as Leguizamo's partner, Brian Dennehy (who has lost a lot of weight) as the Lieutenant, and 50 Cent as "Spider", a notorious drug dealer.

Here's what I thought made it such a great film, and there's definitely a SPOILER ALERT attached to this paragraph: All along, you're led to believe that you know the story, because you see the confession at the beginning of the movie. At a certain point, you realize that the killer has not been shown in any of the murder scenes - it's very subtle. So are things as they appear? Believe me, it is worth your time to see these two hard-breathing legends together in Righteous Kill. Great talent, great movie!

No comments: