Monday, July 09, 2007

THE WILD GIRL - THE NOTEBOOKS OF NED GILES, 1932, by Jim Fergus

I came across this book as I browsed the "New Books" section at our local library. Based on historical fact, this book tells the story of an expedition that was organized to find a young boy that had been kidnapped by Apaches near the small border town of Douglas Arizona. I can't say that I would have chosen this book if it hadn't been for a small detail: I grew up in Douglas, Arizona. Its a town that you've never heard of unless you grew up there.

The story is told through the journals of Ned Giles, just as the title suggests. I can see the town as he drives down the main street, and as he finds a hotel. Our claim to fame in Douglas is the Gadsen Hotel. Not much to look at from the outside, but it's beautful marble staircase has been used in movies from time to time. Ned Giles ends up staying in the hotel, describing it accurately. I was even suprised that one of the locals in the story referred to Douglas as "Dog's Ass" - we did actually call it that in our younger days!

But besides the thrill of finding a novel about my tiny home town, I was sucked into the beautiful story and loved it. It begins with Ned as an old man now, looking back on this life and all the people in it, including the "Wild Girl". I came to love every character and feel what Ned felt. I stayed up into the wee hours of the night, fighting sleep, because I just had to know what was going to happen next.

Since the jacket said that it was based on historical fact, I kept wondering how much was factual and what was fiction. But it ends with an "Author's Note", that explained just that. It is original and refreshing, and I enjoyed it! So glad I accidently found "The Wild Girl".

1 comment:

Liz said...

Author Said:

Hi Liz,
Thanks very much for the very nice review. Always fun to hear from someone from Dog-ass! A friend of mine who is now a magazine and book editor in New York lived for a time in Douglas (his father owned a bar there.) He's the one who told me of the nickname. I also have some rancher friends in the area and have spent a fair amount of time there myself.

I appreciate your interest in my work and that you took the time to write that great review.

All best,
Jim Fergus